Ski Guide Prerequisites
To be allocated a place on the Ski Guides Pathway, you must have met the following criteria:
- Completed a minimum of three seasons winter backcountry skiing or ski mountaineering, of which at least 2 seasons must be in New Zealand.
- Overall have logged minimum 30 quality ski touring/ski mountaineering days.
- Of the 30 quality ski tour days have logged 10 days of winter ski mountaineering of Grade 1 (Logan) peaks which demonstrate competency in the use of crampons, rope and ice axe and have logged minimum 2 ski mountaineering ascents of minimum Grade 2 (Logan) peaks in winter. eg Lendenfield, Eli du Beaumont, Minarets, Brewster, Edgar Thompson, Bannie etc
- Of the 30 quality days, 15 must have been on glaciated terrain
** Ski patrol avalanche control work as part of a well structured snow safety programme can be counted for up to 10 days worth of the minimum 30 quality ski touring/ski mountaineering days required.
- Pass the 1 day Technical Ski examination.
- Be at least 18 years old when your course starts
- New Zealand resident or have a current work permit.
- Current Pre Hospital Emergency Care Certificate (40 hr) or equivalent.
- Avalanche Course Stage 1 Certificate or overseas equivalent.
- Paid a $500 deposit to the NZMGA.
- Current certificate of medical fitness