Alpine Trekking Guide Prerequisites
Prerequisites Alpine Trekking Guide
Note: Persons with extensive industry experience are encouraged to submit applications requesting recognition of their prior experience to gain exemption from the Snow and Ice Guide Course and/or the Assistant Alpine Trekking Guide course.
NZMGA HIG qualification plus 4 Grade 2 climbs (preferably from 3 different regions)
A minimum of 30 logged days over 3 years in summer and winter of alpine/transalpine experience. (Experience outside of New Zealand will be assessed on a case-by-case basis).
- This must include:
- Minimum of 3 separate geographical mountain regions
- At least 4 ascents of grade 2 (Logans) routes.
- Log must show depth of experience, i.e. valley to summit, trans-alpines (trips incorporating multiple pass crossings) river crossing and off track experience.
- Be at least 18 years old when your course starts
- New Zealand resident or have a current work permit.
- Current Pre Hospital Emergency Care Certificate (40 hr) or equivalent.
- Avalanche Course Stage 1 Certificate or its overseas equivalent.
- Current Medical Certificate of fitness
- Paid a $500 deposit to the NZMGA.
Attendance on an NZMGA Snow and Ice Guide Training Course.
( NB So there's time to assimilate the training we see a minimum of 4 months' gap between the Snow and Ice Guide Training Course and the Alpine Trekking Guide Assessment being good. If you're going for ATG, then the November SIG is the one for you!)