Rock Guide Training Course
This guides training course is to take solid amateur rock crag and alpine rock skills and knowledge as a basis to teach candidates how to change/modify techniques, skills and knowledge into professional guiding techniques, skills and knowledge.
- General - As for NZMGA Climbing Guide or IFMGA Mountain Guide pathway.
- Specific - A pass in the 1 day Rock Exam
- Wanaka/Queenstown crags and Remarkables alpine rock.
- Christchurch Port Hills crags and Arthurs Pass alpine rock (eg Temple/Phipps)
- Short roping on rock - 1 & 2 clients
- Short pitching on rock - 1 & 2 clients
- Pitching on rock - 1 & 2 clients
- Moving together on runners/threading a ridge
- Abseiling with clients
- Anchor set-ups for clients
- Belay hitches, devices, mountian/terrain belays for guiding
- Lowering - hitches, devices, systems, passing a knot
- General rope management
- Client management/safety
- Rock rescue - improvised harness, raise, lower, abseil