17 Apr 2023 1 day closed
Technical Rock Exam
A Pass in this Examination is a Pre-requisite to the Rock Guiding Training Course. It is a Pass/Fail examination.
This is an assessment of technical rock skills, knowledge and rock climbing ability in a pass/fail situation. It covers a variety of rock types and climbing styles.
NZOIA Rock II qualification accepted as an equivalent pass of this assessment as a prerequisite for NZMGA guides training pathway.
GUIDELINE TO STANDARDS
Participants are required to demonstrate:
- Ability to plan the climb eg. rack up appropriately
- Efficient and safe clipping of quickdraws
- Efficient and safe placement of camming devices, stoppers and slings (show understanding)
- Understanding of modern belay techniques and devices
- Safe and efficient threading of DBBs for lower off
- Equalising multi-bolt bolt and gear anchors for top rope and multi-pitch
- Efficient rope management for multi-pitch
- Abseil multi-pitch and prussiking
Topics covered / assessed:
- Physical rock climbing ability
- Rock Shoes
- Minimum climb grade 20 Ewbank cleanly placing trad gear.
- Minimum grade 21 Ewbank on bolts
- Mountain Boots
- Minimum climb grade 14 Ewbank eg The Big Corner - Wanaka
- Climb with efficiency of movement and technique
- Climb with ability to read terrain
- Display evidence of rock climbing mileage and experience
- Technical rock climbing skills
This 1 day assessment course is typically held at Christchurch Port Hills, Wanaka or Queenstown.